Friday, January 2, 2009

Devotional for today

Our Hope for Years to Come

The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in Him, and I am helped; therefore my heart greatly rejoices, and with my song I will praise Him.
Psalm 28:7

Recommended Reading
Psalm 28:6-9

This verse provides a happy formula for the New Year. Notice the progression.

First, we realize that the Lord is our strength and shield. No matter what unfolds from day to day or from month to month, He’ll give us sufficient strength, and His presence will surround us as a shield.

Second, our hearts can fully trust Him. We can relax, rest, and lean on Him, knowing He is fully able to do all He has promised.

Third, as we recognize who He is and trust Him, we are helped. There’s no sense of panic as it relates to the uncertain future. He helps us in everything at every time. The past, the present, and the future are His.

Fourth, our heart can therefore rejoice. Today is a day for a joyful and glad attitude. And that leads to a song of praise. We can have a hymn in our hearts today—like this one: “O God our Help in ages past, our hope for years to come; be Thou our Guide while life shall last, and our eternal home.”

Under the shadow of Thy throne Thy saints have dwelt secure; sufficient is Thine arm alone, and our defense is sure.
Isaac Watts

No comments: