Wednesday, February 25, 2009

It doesn't just happen

It Doesn’t Just Happen

He must increase, but I must decrease.
John 3:30

Recommended Reading
1 Timothy 6:11-12

On the hit TV show, The Biggest Loser, contestants must work hard every week to drop pounds so they can continue being on the show. They are held accountable by a gigantic scale that reveals their weight in front of millions of Americans. Going into the contest, they know weight loss doesn’t just happen; they have to fight for it by breaking old habits and creating new, healthy ones. Desperate to lose weight and get healthy, they do whatever it takes to achieve their goal.

This should be our mentality as Christians. Becoming like Christ won’t just happen; it takes discipline and the honest pursuit of righteousness. When we accepted Christ as our Savior, we made a commitment to Him; and it is our duty to work hard to put off the “old man which grows corrupt” and “put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness” (Ephesians 4:22, 24).

When we earnestly do this, we will be well on our way to achieving our goal of godly righteousness and pointing others toward Christ Jesus.

I know I can't do a thing to earn my salvation; but now that I am His, I will do everything in my power to show Him how much I love Him—and I live to please the One I love who has transformed me with HIS love.
Katherine Walden

(devotional from David Jeremiah's ministry)

No comments: