Saturday, March 21, 2009

His understudies: Surrender

He went away a second time and prayed, "My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may Your will be done."
Matthew 26:42 NIV

Recommended Reading
Romans 12:1-2

It's often been said of some great military leader or another: "He never asked us to do something he wasn't willing to do himself." By comparing Matthew 6 with Matthew 26, we see this is true of Christ. In the earlier passage, He taught us to pray, "Your will be done on earth." In the latter passage, He Himself prayed, "May Your will be done in Me."

Surrendering our "all" to Christ doesn't mean we're dispirited prisoners waving a white flag. It means we've come face to face with the King of Kings, and we are willing to defer every preference to Him. Knowing He is all-powerful, we submit as a servant to a king. Knowing He is all-loving, we yield as a child to a father. Knowing He is all-wise, we gladly choose His will over our own.

The Lord would rather have one person who is 100-percent committed than 100 people who are 90-percent yielded.
Lord, not my will, but Yours be done!

I have been before God, and have given myself, all that I am and have, to God; so that I am not, in any respect, my own... I have given myself clear away.
Jonathan Edwards

No comments: