Thursday, July 23, 2009

CSA produce week 6 and a recipe

I don't have any photos this week, but here is what I remember from our box:  purple hull peas, sweet corn, tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, hot peppers, green beans, onions, 3 kinds of squash...I think that's it??  I have never had purple hull peas before, they are similar to black eyed peas.  It sure is time consuming to shell them!  Here is the recipe I am making for dinner tonight using the purple hull peas.

Purple Hull Peas & Rice Casserole

1 lb. hamburger meat
1 medium chopped onion
2 cups cooked purple hull peas (drained if using canned)
1 box (8 oz.) Zatarain’s “New Orleans Style Yellow Rice” (I did not use this, I just cooked up some brown rice)
1 can (15 oz.) cream of mushroom soup
1/2 lb. of shredded Velveeta Cheese (I don't use fake cheese, I am using cheddar)

In a medium size skillet, brown the hamburger meat and onions, then drain.  Cook yellow rice according to directions on package.  In a large bowl, add hamburger meat with onions, purple hull peas, cooked rice, mushroom soup, and 3/4 of the shredded cheese and mix.  Place in a 10” X 13” dish and bake at 350° for 20 min.  Remove and sprinkle the remainder of the shredded cheese on top and place back in the oven for 10 min. or until cheese is melted.

1 comment:

Yara said...

that sounds really yummy