Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I love pumpkin pie!

Pumpkin pie is my all time favorite pie! I usually only make it in the fall, maybe once or twice. I was in Walmart the other day and they had pie pumpkin's on sale. I have always wanted to make a pie using fresh pumpkin, so I bought one. I split the pumpkin in half, scooped out the seeds, cover each half with foil, then baked it for an hour. I then washed the seeds, laid them out on a pizza pan, sprinkled them with salt, and baked them. Pumpkin seeds are a tasty snack!

After the pumpkin had cooled, I scooped it out of the skin, and pureed it in the Vitamix. Then I made my pie crust, mixed the pumpkin with all the ingredients, and baked it. It is absolutely tasty! Probably one of the best pumpkin pie's I've ever had! And this photo shows what is leftover today! LOL!! Ronnie liked it too!

Here is the recipe I used:

1 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
12 oz evaporated milk
2 eggs
3/4 cup Rapadura (unprocessed, unrefined cane sugar)
1/2 tsp salt
1 3/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice

The crust recipe:

1 1/2 cup spelt flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
5 tblsp cold water

Once you have it all assembled, bake at 425 for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 and bake for 40 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean. Let cool for 2 hours. Then enjoy!!!!!

No comments: