Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Granola mom's


Last week I went to my doctor's office for a physical.  As the nurse was getting ready to draw blood (ouch) she said I smelled good and wondered what I was wearing.  I told her I usually wear patchouli or lavender oil, but all I had on that day was Burt's Bee's lotion.  She said "oh, I love granola mom's!"  LOL!  I have to admit that is the first time I have heard a "stranger" refer to me as a granola mom based on what I wear for fragrance and skin care.  It was kind of funny.  And it was a compliment as well!

This morning as I went into the cupboard to find a cup for my tea, I realized that the above mug was back there and I had not used it in a while.  So I pulled it out.  A very dear internet group of granola mom friends of mine got me this mug, along with some other natural baby things, as part of a gift when I was pregnant with Ronnie.  I think of them whenever I use this mug. And although I have never even met most of them in person, they are some of the closest friends I have.  We granola mom's have to unite, no matter how many miles may separate us!  That is what hold us together when the rest of society rolls their eyes at us, or criticizes us for the way we choose to do things since it may be different than the "main stream" way.  I am happy to be considered a granola mom by my doctor's nurse, or anyone else who decides to label me that way. :)